Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Blog Hop: A Peek Into "The Humble Abode"

All right, ladies and germs, welcome to my first Blog Hop. I'm told it works something like this: some writer friends of mine have been passing around the following interview questions. When tagged, one must answer the questions about one's latest work-in-progress and then pass them on to someone new. I got tagged, so now it's my turn to talk about what's got me banging the keys of late.

If you'd like to see the answers of She Who Tagged Before Me (that's her Native American name), then visit the following blog: http://seeredwrite.wordpress.com/. If you want to know what I'm up to right now, then read on!



Ten Interview Questions for The Next Big Thing:

What is the working title of your book?

Well, I've got one still in progress and one I'm putting the finishing touches on. The latter is the one I'm going to chat about here. It's called The Humble Abode.

Where did the idea come from for the book?

Honestly, I couldn't tell you anymore where the particulars stemmed from, but the main character is based on a true story of smart-assery. I have a friend whose sarcasm setting was turned up so high when I first met him it nigh scorched my eyebrows off. My initial impression had me torn between amusement and kind of wanting to drown him just a little. Then, the more I got to know him, the more hilarious I found him, and the more I was like, "Hey, who are you kidding, buddy? You're a ridiculously nice person! You can't fool me with your diverting snark!"

Of these traits, a cranky hermit was born.


What genre does your book fall under?

Fantasy, but heavy on the comedy a la Terry Pratchett.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Honestly, I have no idea. The only character I have a notion for is Jior, my pointy-eared grammar freak. I'd find it quite charming to see what Jim Parsons of "The Big Bang Theory" fame could do with him.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

A cranky hermit living in a haunted forest gets dragged out of his cottage and into a madcap adventure.


Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I admire the hustle my indie author friends have, but I'm going to take a run at representation.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I started writing it when I was 22 or 23. I will be 33 in February... :O


Honestly, it didn't take that long to write the dang thing, it just took me that long to quit picking at it. But I can tell you, there is not a comma out of place. This baby is IMMACULATE.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

I think there's a zippy, wacky quality to it that's comparable to the works of Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.


Who or what inspired you to write this book?

See the above response regarding my unnamed friend who speaks sarcasm fluently.


What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

Well, it's got a little bit of everything: mystery, romance, adventure, death, grammar, and ghosts haunting jam jars... I mean, what more could you want from a story?


So anyhow, that is what I have up my sleeve just now!



Now, I'm supposed to tag others to answer some questions as well, but it looks to me like so many of my writer friends have already done this that I'm going to just post this picture of Norman Reedus in sexy nerd glasses instead. Enjoy!


"I feel like I just got tagged in a blog post that has nothing to do with me. That's so weird..."

No comments:

Post a Comment