Sunday, June 9, 2013

The High Cost of Prose: a Mini-Blog

You know, I had a pretty sound strategy as to how I was going to resolve my current work-in-progress. Because the final plot twist was, in some ways, a bit too neat, I figured that I had to make the tension that came before it as messy as possible. That way, the reader would be so relieved, they'd forgive me a bit of convenience in the climax. But as I write the pain, the hopelessness, and the heartbreak that comes before the moment of truth, I am regretting this strategy. One cannot write characters for this long without loving them and becoming invested in their happiness. From the moment I started ripping Flynn and Em's lives apart and sending them spiraling into disaster, I felt my guts churning with horror. There is a high price to pay to write the right words, and to do it with feeling. But hopefully, it all pays off in the end.

Original image found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment